Re: gnome-applets PLIST trouble

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:42:59 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I have been having this problem for a while, and I almost figured it out
>> a while ago and now I forgot.  box is i386, 5.0RC1, very normal.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this?  When other people build gnome-applets, does
>> the resulting package have invest bits?
>>
>> => Checking file-check results for gnome-applets-2.24.3.1nb1
>> ERROR: ************************************************************
>> ERROR: The following files are in the PLIST but not in /usr/pkg:
>
> This means two things;
>
> 1. You have PKG_DEVELOPER set to "YES" in mk.conf
>
> 2. The package's PLIST is incorrect.

or

(1 and) 3. The package depends on something which is not controlled by
pkgsrc, so it comes out differently in different circumstances.

I am 99% sure we are in case 3.

> There is no maintainer for gnome-applets so I guess you could go in and
> fix this yourself.  If unsure about how you can just make a PR for it.
>
> Having said that, I checked and there already is a PR:
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=40209
> I'm not sure how connecting to the X11 server can cause the problem but
> I will install it on a test system and see if I get the same conenction
> error that they describe and whether it has the same warning or not.  I
> will update the PR if I have any new information.

I think what's going on is that some program gets run as part of
configure, and it's a python thing, and as part of 'import foo' for some
value of foo I can't remember it opens up an X11 connection if DISPLAY
is set, and if that fails the load fails, instead of behaving the same
way as if DISPLAY is not set.

So I think two fixes are needed:

  make the python 'import foo' not try to use X

  make pkgsrc ensure that DISPLAY is unset when building packages unless
  the package specifically asks for it to be set (for some that really
  need this - seems broken)