Re: problems building kde3

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:32:16 +0900
"OBATA Akio" <obache%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:13:27 +0900, Steven M. Bellovin
> <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build kde (i386, -current, pkgsrc HEAD).  Many of its
> > components are failing because they can't find -lesd.  I can fix it
> > by adding a buildlink3 file for audio/esound, but I have to add it
> > to a number of different Makefiles.  Should I add it to all of
> > them?  Add it to meta-pkgs/kde3/kde3.mk?  (Disclaimer: there may be
> > some dependent packages already built; however, I started the build
> > with no packages named kde*3 on system, and with no work
> > directories and up-to-date pkgsrc.)
> >

> >             --Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb
> >

> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2008/01/21/0000.html
>
> The package audio/arts should be bump PKGREVISION
> and include esound/buildlink3.mk more conditionally.
> See also graphics/imlib2/buildlink3.mk.
> XXX: This kind of issue should be noted somewhere.

Thanks.  If I read the Makefile correctly for audio/arts, I really need
to enable one (or more) of the sound daemons.  Can I pick more than
one?  What happens if I pick none?  Should the kde3 metapackage verify
that one or more is selected?  If not, there are mysterious build
failures several hours into the kde build, which is not user-friendly.