Re: package updates

On 19/06/07, Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
I'm not sure if the coreaudio driver works;

The test is with portaudio. If I use coreaudio, I get

jackd: unknown driver 'coreaudio'

I would try the OSS driver
or one of the others.

Same with oss - unknown driver etc.

Yes, using it is the problem. ;)  It has to be run as root, which I
hate.  Really, I want to port pulseaudio (www.pulseaudio.org).  I have
a very rough package from ver 0.9.5 in pkgsrc-wip--it disobeys the
pkgsrc framework horribly and can crash in many different ways--but it
does work.

I actually am using pulseaudio 0.9.5 from your package - well, it
overwrites esound, but other than that seems OK.

Just noticed that 0.9.6 is out and tried to compile it. It seems to
need libatomic, which I got and manually installed - no package, don't
know if it's necessary for anything else (anyway, compiles, make check
also runs, so I said, let's try the other one...). Here with 0.9.6 I
got some obscure assembly problems which certainly are beyond me -

/usr/pkg/include/atomic_ops/generalize.h:153: warning: old-style
function definition
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:1282: Error: bad register name `%sil'

IMHO it's worth it more than jack because it supports esound.

As you said, it works, but one can indeed get some nice crashes - I
had one earlier - manually starting esd, changing Gnome's sound
preferences to use it, testing OK, then leaving Sound Capture to
automatic and testing it - completely unresponsive system, only full
reset brought it back, no ping, no CtrlAltEsc, no 'reboot 0x104' ...

Regards,

--Blair

Chavdar Ivanov