Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:47:56AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:18:14 -0400, Johnny Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm curious as to how many people are using the pkgsrc "stable" branches
> > (pkgsrc-YYYYQQ).  The pkgsrc developers spend quite a bit of time
> > creating and maintaining these branches, and I want to get a feel for
> > whether this is time well-spent.
> >
> > I personally use the stable branch on production servers.  I find it
> > avoids the chaos of keeping up with rapidly changing PKGREVISIONs that
> > happen on pkgsrc HEAD at times.  I keep a sandbox handy for rebuilding
> > packages when there is a security update on the stable branch, and I
> > update all of my software to the newest stable branch every quarter.
> >
> > Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?
>
> I'll tell you something you don't want to hear -- I tried it, but I gave
> up.  The problem is that security patches weren't pulled up quickly enough
> to the branches.  On stable machines, those are my primary reason for
> recompiling.

Fixing the PHP packages last week took me an insane amount of time;  I'm
glad that I can stretch my job description enough to consider it part of
my admin job, but I still have better things to do.  I committed the
patches on Friday, and just did the pull-up request, after proper test
that everything applied cleanly and compiled fine on the branch.

During that time, *anybody* (well, policy probably requires that the
requests come from developers, but that still include a lot of people)
could have done the same checks and request the pull-up.  I personally
don't use the stable branch, mostly because I haven't had the time to
prepare my setup in that respect.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost