Re: pkgsrc-stable branch stories?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Johnny Lam wrote:
Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?

We use the stable branch in our department's instructional lab, updating during a semester only for critical fixes (mostly security). I keep a subset of the packages built, using pkg_comp to set up a chroot sandbox
and the PKGLIST variable in the bulk procedure to pick out the subset.

We try to avoid upheaval during the semester, with mass upgrading occurring during the summer (and lesser updating during the Christmas-New Years break). That means we stay with what is stable before the term starts; so we are still on pkgsrc-2005Q4 and will have to stay there for a few more weeks.

While the schedule for stable branches doesn't fit our needs perfectly,
I want to say how grateful I am for the service the pkgsrc developers provide.

        Cary Gray