pkgsrc-stable branch stories?

I'm curious as to how many people are using the pkgsrc "stable" branches (pkgsrc-YYYYQQ). The pkgsrc developers spend quite a bit of time creating and maintaining these branches, and I want to get a feel for whether this is time well-spent.

I personally use the stable branch on production servers. I find it avoids the chaos of keeping up with rapidly changing PKGREVISIONs that happen on pkgsrc HEAD at times. I keep a sandbox handy for rebuilding packages when there is a security update on the stable branch, and I update all of my software to the newest stable branch every quarter.

Is anyone else using the pkgsrc stable branch?  If so, how do you use it?

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost>