pkgsrc-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: pkg/60802: x11/xscreensaver 2026Q3 cannot unlock screen



The following reply was made to PR pkg/60802; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>
To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/60802: x11/xscreensaver 2026Q3 cannot unlock screen
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2026 09:16:53 +0200

 Hello,
 
 Today is Sunday and as I expected, xscreensaver is working fine again. It confirms the weekly pattern failure!
 
 After compiling xscreensaver to include debugging symbols I have been trying to use
 gdb to discover where it fails but it has been impossible for me. It appears than
 xscreensaver calls xscreensaver-auth to unlock the screen and it crashes there. I
 do not know how to inspect that scenario under gdb. If I load xscreensaver in GDB
 and it calls xscreensaver-auth and crashes there, I do not see anything. I do not
 have enough expertise to do it properly. Any hints will be appreciated.
 
  From xscreensaver log:
 
 ...
 ...
 
 xscreensaver-gfx: 18:25:20: fading...
 xscreensaver-gfx: 18:25:20: loaded screenshot 0x1c00007 for window 0x1c00001 1920x1080+0+0 from saved 0x1c00005 1920x1080
 xscreensaver: 18:25:22: authorizing (motion)
 xscreensaver: 18:25:22: pid 21705: launched xscreensaver-auth --verbose
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: initial effective uid/gid was root/users (0/100)
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: changed uid/gid to ramiro/users (1000/100)
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: running as user "ramiro"
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: pwnam: non-PAM password auth
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: mouse is at 1448,601 on monitor 0 1920x1080+0+0 "DP1"
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: theme: default
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: kbd layout: Spanish
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:22: attached input method
 
 xscreensaver: 18:25:22: pid 21705: xscreensaver-auth exited with signal 11
 
 xscreensaver: 18:25:22: authorization failed
 xscreensaver: 18:25:23: authorizing (motion)
 xscreensaver: 18:25:23: pid 23189: launched xscreensaver-auth --verbose
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:23: initial effective uid/gid was root/users (0/100)
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:23: changed uid/gid to ramiro/users (1000/100)
 xscreensaver-auth: 18:25:23: running as user "ramiro"
 ...
 ...
 
 For me there is absolutely no problem in running xscreensaver with "C" locale, but it is
 interesting to understand where it fails. I am thinking that perhaps the author is the
 only person that may understand it better, but in his WEB page he tells that:
 
 "If you are reporting a bug in any version earlier than 6.16 then you are probably
 wasting your time and mine. So please, I implore you, upgrade first. "
 
 NetBSD uses 6.15 version, which is far more modern than 6.09 in Debian Trixie, even in Debian Unstable!
 I do not want to try to manually change to 6.16 in pkgsrc, there are patches involved and
 I do not have enough expertise to do that and I would enter in another problem.
 
 
 Thanks.
 Ramiro.
 



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index