pkgsrc-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: pkg/60802: x11/xscreensaver 2026Q3 cannot unlock screen



The following reply was made to PR pkg/60802; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ramiro Aceves <ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost>
To: gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost, pkg-manager%netbsd.org@localhost, gnats-admin%netbsd.org@localhost,
 pkgsrc-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/60802: x11/xscreensaver 2026Q3 cannot unlock screen
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2026 08:53:03 +0200

 Hi,
 
 After observing xscreensaver during the whole the week, I can conclude that the malfunctioning
 for unlocking the screen has only been observed on Saturdays in my system.
 
 I found that the crash can be avoided in NetBSD by setting:
 
 
 LIBC_ALLOWCTYPEABUSE=true xscreensaver
 
 
 I also played with the locale settings. With:
 
 
 
 
 LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"   -> fails
 
 LC_TIME="C"             -> works
 
 LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"   -> works
 
 
 
 So far, this points to an interaction between xscreensaver, NetBSD ctype strict handling, and the Spanish LC_TIME locale.
 
 
 For comparison, the same Saturday test on Linux and FreeBSD with Spanish locale did not show the problem.
 
 Xscreensaver messages at the login unlock screen:
 
 
 Linux:
 2026-10-03 09:35:49
       Spanish
 
 FreeBSD:
 2026-10-03 09:39:40
       Spanish (Windows)
 
 NetBSD with LIBC_ALLOWCTYPEABUSE="true":
 09:58 a.m., sáb oct 3
        Spanish
 
 
 
 Regards,
 Ramiro
 



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index