pkgsrc-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

pkg/42265: devel/libdaemon build complains (and fails) with undefined libc symbols (NetBSD 4.0/i386)

>Number:         42265
>Category:       pkg
>Synopsis:       devel/libdaemon build complains (and fails) with undefined 
>libc symbols (NetBSD 4.0/i386)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Priority:       high
>Responsible:    pkg-manager
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Nov 04 14:55:00 +0000 2009
>Originator:     Robert Elz
>Release:        NetBSD 4.0 / i386
        Prince of Songkla University
System: NetBSD 4.0_STABLE NetBSD 4.0_STABLE 
(JADE-1.696-20080517) #9: Fri May 23 18:55:13 ICT 2008 i386
Architecture: i386
Machine: i386
        Attempting to build devel/libdaemon (libdaemon-0.14) fails with
        many undefined symbol errors at the link stage - with the undefined
        symbols all being things we'd expect to find in libc.

        I use pkg_comp with libkver and NetBSD 4.0 sets installed
        (except x* but that's irrelevant here).   This is a fairly
        good approximation to a pure, unmodified, NetBSD 4.0 installation.

        In that environment I see ...

===> Building for libdaemon-0.14
/usr/bin/make  all-recursive
Making all in libdaemon
  CC     dlog.lo
  CC     dfork.lo
  CC     dsignal.lo
  CC     dnonblock.lo
  CC     dpid.lo
  CC     dexec.lo
.libs/dlog.o: In function `daemon_ident_from_argv0':
dlog.c:(.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `strrchr'
.libs/dlog.o: In function `daemon_logv':
dlog.c:(.text+0x4d): undefined reference to `__errno'
dlog.c:(.text+0x78): undefined reference to `openlog'
dlog.c:(.text+0x8c): undefined reference to `vsyslog'
dlog.c:(.text+0xa9): undefined reference to `__errno'
dlog.c:(.text+0xc5): undefined reference to `__sF'
dlog.c:(.text+0xce): undefined reference to `vfprintf'
dlog.c:(.text+0xd8): undefined reference to `fputc'
dlog.c:(.text+0xed): undefined reference to `__sF'

        And many more similar errors (from lots of different
        source files and functions) but all apparently libc symbols.

        This doesn't appear to be something that pkgsrc is doing,
        I get the same results if I build outside pkgsrc.

        I have taken a look to see what the difference is between
        this version of libdaemon (0.14) and the previous version (0.13)
        which worked fine (well, built fine, I am not certain if I
        have used any of the packages that use it, but probably).

        Aside from large numbers of autodisaster changes, and a few
        obvious bug fixes, I see very few changes, the one change I
        do see that looks material is ...

> LDFLAGS_NOUNDEFINED = -Wl,--no-undefined

        That's from libdaemon/Makefile - the (generated) Makefile for the
        directory where the problems occur.

        If I remove the "-Wl,--no-undefined" (outside pkgsrc for now)
        the library builds fine.   On the other hand, if I add "-lc"
        as a library explicitly (instead of that change), it also
        builds fine.

        It seems obvious (which probably means it is wrong) that the
        "--no-undefined" linker option is why we're getting undefined
        symbols reported as errors - but it also seems obvious that this
        is a deliberate change, and I also note that no-one else seems
        to be observing any problems with this, so perhaps there's a
        difference between NetBSD 4 and NetBSD 5 & current in this

        Other random info that might perhaps help from what I have
        discovered - libdaemon has its own libtool, pkgsrc claims to
        replace use of that with the standard pkgsrc libtool (and
        probably does, it is hard to tell) but in any case it makes
        no difference (I deliberately and definitely replaced the
        libtool script included with pkgsrc's libtool when I did a
        build outside pkgsrc, and tried that, I also tried with the
        libtool supplied, none of that made any difference).


        Whether the right thing is to link against libc and keep
        the "--no-undefined-symbols" check/error, or whether not linking
        against libc (which would be done again when libdaemon is
        used with any other application anyway, I would expect) and
        then removing the deliberately added error check, and how
        much of this should depend upon NetBSD 4 rather than simply
        applying generally I really have no idea.

        However, this package is needed for building quite a bit of
        other stuff, so I have marked this as a high priority bug...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index