NetBSD-Users archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: disks, partitions, slices, etc.
On Sat, Oct 03, 2026 at 04:42:46AM +0200, Jeff wrote:
> Based on advice I got elsewhere, I would like to put an ext2
> filesystem on an existing partition that I can share between NetBSD and
> Gentoo on a dual boot system. The advice was to create the filesystem
> from in NetBSD.
I understand the MBR vs. disklabel vs. GPT confusion - it is a disaster
for historical raisins.
The GPT start is most straigth forward and portable to other OSes:
If you have a disk with GPT it will autoconfigure wedges. So if your
device is, say, sd0 you can list all wedges with:
dkctl sd0 listwedges
If your partitions have usefull GPT labels, this should be enough to
identify them. Example form one machine here:
# dkctl wd0 listwedges
/dev/rwd0: 2 wedges:
dk0: G5root, 943718400 blocks at 64, type: ffs
dk1: G5swap, 56496704 blocks at 943718464, type: swap
my root file system is labeled "G5root", so I can acces it as dk0.
Without label you need to rely on "type", which might not be unique.
Worst case you get a UUID, and then you may compare it to
gpt show -a sd0
output (again assuming your disk is sd0).
Once you know the N for your target dkN device, you can create an ext2fs
file system on it using newfs_ext2fs(8) like:
newfs_ext2fs -v "myVolume" /dev/rdk0
(if your dkN from the search above is dk0)
The MBR case is more complicated because you have a disklabel in between
that other systems do not understand, so you will jump through additioonal
hoops.
Martin
- Prev by Date:
Re: disks, partitions, slices, etc.
- Next by Date:
Re: disks, partitions, slices, etc.
- Previous by Thread:
Re: disks, partitions, slices, etc.
- Next by Thread:
Re: disks, partitions, slices, etc.
- Indexes:
Home |
Main Index |
Thread Index |
Old Index