Re: efibootmgr

For UEFI systems, NetBSD utilizes its own boot manager and configuration methods. When installing NetBSD on a UEFI system, the installation process involves creating an EFI system partition and placing the UEFI boot loader there. This setup is typically handled by the installation process itself, especially in newer versions of NetBSD (9.0 and later) which are more automated in terms of recognizing and setting up UEFI boot. [Ref: https://wiki.netbsd.org/Installation_on_UEFI_systems/]

If you need to manually configure or modify UEFI boot entries in NetBSD, you might have to interact directly with the UEFI firmware settings (via the computer's BIOS setup menu) or use a third-party UEFI boot manager like rEFInd, which can be installed separately and used to manage boot entries across different operating systems.[Ref : https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2018/06/02/msg020865.html]

For specific tasks like adding a new boot entry or changing boot order, these actions are typically performed outside of the operating system on most UEFI-equipped systems, directly through the UEFI firmware interface. This approach differs from systems like Linux, where efibootmgr provides a command-line interface to modify the UEFI boot manager entries directly from the operating system.

Also worth reading this discussion:

https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/53-installing-netbsd-uefi-encrypted-file-system