Re: Not a blocker for 10.0: synaptics touchpad lies about coordinates

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 08:47:10PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> In my quite old laptop there is a synaptics-like touchpad that lies
> about its coordinate range. As a result it doesn't work: all its reports
> are filtered out as being "out of bounds". This can be remedied by a
> set of sysctls to correct this, except these sysctls are also rejected
> for being out of (other) bounds. The patch below "fixes" this in a hacky
> way (by removing those bound checks).

No, the bounds checks are important because some touchpads will report out of bounds
coordinates for some events which messes up the ballistics.

You should be able to set the max and min coordinates of you touchpad using sysctl, they
should override the probed ones and so provide correct operation.  If that is not happening
then this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

> I corresponded with blymn@ when 10 was branched and he wanted to make a
> proper fix, but apparently that didn't make it into 10.0.

 Sorry, I updated to NetBSD 10 on my laptop and have not had X since, that has soaked a lot
of my hack time working on fixing that problem.

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",