Re: segfault in libterminfo with ncurses with nethack

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 11:29:45PM +0000, RVP wrote:

> This is more a pkgsrc issue than a curses issue; and a PR was indeed filed...

Only sort of. It is a bug with our curses if an application does not work properly.

I do understand that the issue with pkgsrc needs a fix but the deeper issue, in my mind, is
that ncurses is needed at all.  It would be really good if when people make the decision
that ncurses is required that they raise a PR on the built in curses detailing why they
needed to do this.

There are many instances where a PR has not only improved upstream code by using the
available defines in both ncurses and our curses instead of hard coded values that happen to
match ncurses but has triggered very real improvements to the builtin curses.  There are big
improvements in the NetBSD 10 curses all due to pkgsrc bug reports.

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",