Re: modern desktop update recommendations?

Bartel wrote:
> MLH wrote:
> > The new box (6 cores) compiles a full amd64 build at about 10x the
> > speed that the old Intel I3 (2 cores) did (yay). I build on the
> > old Hitachi drive, not the SSD (to preserve it a little more).

> Don't worry that much about SSDs. Over 7 years I only had one fail in a
> laptop (which was previously a company laptop for many years so did get
> a lot of usage). Plus they're cheap.

Thanks. Figure I may as well get good use out of the Hitachi while
it is still around, plus having over 25GB cache available instead
of a few GB should make it a lot easier on the drives.

> > The Radeon HD 5450 works good, except with Netbsd 10. It works
> > completely fine with the old 9.93, just as with USB. The Radeon
> > gets a lot of lines sprinkled on the screen and often goes blank
> > for a bit.
> >
> > Would be nice to have 10 fix the problems with X display and USB
> > that were introduced with 10.
>
> It is important to raise a PR for any regression you notice with
> 10. I didn't really get many of them on my hardware.

 port-amd64/56987 - non-critical medium priority sw-bug
    Certain usb devices can no longer be mounted on -current

I posted it over a year ago but no action yet.

I believe there is already a radeon PR already posted.