Re: modern desktop update recommendations?

> Bartel wrote:
> MLH wrote:
> >
> > Thank you very much for your suggestions. I upgraded to :
> >
> > Ryzen 5 5600X - 6 core, 12 thread
> > 32GB DDR4
> > Asus Prime B550M-K motherboard
> > Samsung 980 2TB M.2 SSD
> > Radeon HD5450 2GB
> > Upgraded power supply to handle the chip power plug
> >
> > The AMD 5600X doesn't work with the onboard gfx chips (even with
> > the latest bios update) so I went ahead and upgraded to the HD5450,
> > which works very well, driving two displays.
> >
> > I don't game so this was a pretty cheap investment into a serious
> > upgrade to my ~10 year old box. :^)
> >
> > Plus the new Asus motherboard boots UEFI very nicely (turns out
> > the old Gigabyte did not, even though it claimed to do so).
> >
> > Now all of the drives I built to boot UEFI a couple of years ago
> > now can boot, though my UEFI raid drives get pushed to the front
> > somehow and I haven't determined how to specify the SSD. I have to
> > boot -a and select the correct dk. None of the "NAME=" stuff seems
> > to work and even specifying the boot dev listed (and specified to
> > be the boot drive) works. I can only specify which one (other than
> > RAID0) using the boot -a method.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks very much for your help and I really liike the new
> > hardware.
>
> Good news!
> After my reply I decided to use NetBSD more because I was working on
> wip/adguardhome package and it was pretty solid on the hardware I
> mentioned. Booting with UEFI and specifying a native resolution
> (software rendering on my GPU) caused some inconviniences (like you
> could tell although the resolution is OK, something is off, like perhaps
> refresh rate), but I can't fix it with this new GPU and I don't feel
> like getting a 2nd, older one.
> Also to overcome the "slow WiFi" issue I just connected my PC with a
> 1Gbps Ethernet and it's great.

Good to hear some is working. Asus just issued a bios update so I
updated to determine if the onboard gfx issue was fixed. I didn't
remove the Radeon card, which earlier had rendered the box unbootable,
but the onboard gfx is still not supported.

The new box (6 cores) compiles a full amd64 build at about 10x the
speed that the old Intel I3 (2 cores) did (yay). I build on the
old Hitachi drive, not the SSD (to preserve it a little more).

The interesting thing is that two out of three hard drives on the
old box were 'failing'. All sorts of errors reported with them and
the os had been seizing every time I tried to compile anything
nontrivial, which is why the upgrade. All three hard drives work
great with the new motherboard and new power supply. Ha.

The Radeon HD 5450 works good, except with Netbsd 10. It works
completely fine with the old 9.93, just as with USB. The Radeon
gets a lot of lines sprinkled on the screen and often goes blank
for a bit.

Would be nice to have 10 fix the problems with X display and USB
that were introduced with 10.