Re: Pulling off of *.cpio

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 08:56:39AM -0500, Todd Gruhn wrote:

> For one, MP3 does not compress well -- so does it matter it comes off
> when I do cpio -iv < foo ??
>
> Why do I need to unzip it 2x?? I see the list if file names when I unzip them.

What do you mean by "unzip it 2x"? All you showed above, *again*, was
the normal cpio extraction command.

cpio can create an archive including compress-like (-Z) or gzip-like (-z)
compression - read the manual page, please.

On extracting, it automatically recognizes those formats and
uncompresses them on-the-fly using the right algorithm. You never
need to call unzip, not even once, especially not twice...

(and it wouldn't help, as the format of zip/unzip is different:
$ unzip testz.cpio
unzip: Unrecognized archive format
$ unzip testZ.zpio
unzip: Failed to open 'testZ.zpio'
)

I guess you created the archive with one of cpio's compression options?

You'll still achieve a bit of compression on top of the audio compression
by mp3, at least with -z (small z), 1% in a quick experiment. -Z, indeed,
increased the size - you probably should avoid that. But if you insist,
you can create a cpio archive without its own compression by using plain
cpio -o (without -z or -Z).

Regards,
	-is