Re: sending/receiving UTF-8 characters from terminal to program

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023, Thomas Dickey wrote:

May be you need to specify -u8 option or utf8 resource?

That would work. So would running uxterm instead of xterm, but, all of
these mess-up command-line editing: Alt+key is converted into a char.
code instead of an ESC+key sequence.

perhaps you're referring to eightBitInput (see manpage)

That seems to get set when running as uxterm/UTF-8 locale. However, `XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true' (which I have set for XTerm, but, not for
UXTerm) fixes things right back, so it's all OK :)

XTerm*locale: true

that's redundant, since the default "medium" will give the same effect :-)

Great! That's something I didn't know. Thanks, Tom.

Cheers,
-RVP