android studio

Hi All,

I had to change my windows laptop on which I developed android stuff so while waiting for the new one I decided to give a try to android studio (via linux emulation) on my NetBSD desktop. So here are the results.

Installation (well, starting studio.sh) works just fine, without any problems. I only had to make sure that openjdk11 is found first in PATH instead of openjdk8.

Opening any projects and all the automatic plugin downloads seem to work fine.

The first problem you hit is when you start a gradle build. No matter which gradle version you choose, you'll end up with the error: "Unknown platform: NetBSD". Android studio always downloads their own version of gradle no matter if you have it on NetBSD (currently, 6.8.3) but I'm not even sure if it's gradle or one of their gradle plugins that complains. Besides, the downloaded gradle versions are stored in hidden directories with generated names of hashes so replacing a downloaded version with the NetBSD installed version is rather tricky. I traced the command line gradle build by ktrace and was happy that it hits uname as I thought simply prepending all the linux emul bins (/usr/pkg/emul/linux/bin ... sbin ... /usr/bin ... /usr/sbin ...) to PATH will do the trick. But it does not. Although, executing uname now returns Linux, when executing gradle, it still reports the same problem: "Unknown platform: NetBSD". I also found out that the file called Platform.java contains the check by calling System.getProperty("os.name") but haven't even found it on the system anywhere.

So basically, got stuck. If anyone has any hint, it's welcome :)

Best regards,
r0ller

PS: By the way, stock (pkgin) Qt Creator runs just fine with the new pkgsrc Qt6 and debugging via lldb also works (stock system gdb cannot be used (haven't tried any other from pkgin) as it's compiled without python scripting). So C++ develoipment seems feasible.