Re: sysupgrade usage, expected file format

In your initial mail you've posted command: sysupgrade auto http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.3/amd64

and here is mention of i386. Thats different architecture, and probably system is messed badly now.

W dniu 07.11.2022 o 21:22, Riccardo Mottola pisze:
Hi,

Bartosz Maciejewski wrote:
Hi, Please look at the bottom of sysupgrade.conf file:)

  #Archive file extension of the sets. For now it can be either 'tgz' or
# 'tar.xz'.
#ARCHIVE_EXTENSION=tar.xz

found it :) used it.... and broke my system! argh!

It indeed makes upgrade start. However, at some point I get flooded with:

postinstall: Cannot execute ELF binary /bin/mkdir
postinstall: Cannot execute ELF binary /bin/mkdir
postinstall: Cannot execute ELF binary /bin/mkdir

from another console I see that not even "ls" is executable anmore. Wow.
I think somehow 9.3 is not binary compatible with 9.2 the userland gets extracted, the sysupgrade breaks.

Am I unlucky on this i386 system or is it a general issue? I never upgraded with sysupgrade, but it would be so convenient for systems without CD-ROM to boot, servers, etc.

Riccardo

PS: what now? boot with CD-ROM and try to upgrade "over" again?