Re: Search engine for mail-index?

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 11:33:55AM +0000, adr wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2022, Paul Ripke wrote:
> > Odd question, but what do people use to search the mail-index.netbsd.org
> > archives? I went looking for a specific email that I knew existed, and
>
> I always delete mails if they are archive elsewhere and save the
> ones I have some interest just for a while, so I don't use local
> management tools. The problem with common search engines is that
> they found what they have found already before (or what others have
> found before, specially google and bing). BSD's lists (and others)
> are archived in marc.info, mail-archive.com, &c. When you make a
> search, the search is done on an archive of the mailing list, not
> in a humongous database created by web crawlers and who knows what
> nowdays, so the results are pretty good. I prefer marc, give it a
> try.
>
> adr.

Thanks! That's what I was after - marc.info looks quite usable. A few
years ago, I was tempted to write my own, probably one of those pandemic
projects that never happened. I think I also used to use news.gmane.org,
but it's MIA.

I also used to generally only keep interesting emails, but given the
poor state of archives (and not knowing those two) I started keeping
everything.

--
Paul Ripke
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds