Re: Cannot boot, was: Re: Can't install NetBSD to ffs2 partition, no errors

On 06 October 2022 17:36:01 (+01:00), Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 05:04:42PM +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> > Bad news. The installer didn't ask me if and where I wanted to install
> > the bootloader and now I can't boot into NetBSD.
>
> If you have multiple installations on your Efi System Partition you may
> need to select the one to boot manually from your UEFI boot menu.
>
> Typical setup is one OS per disk, which makes it easier (e.g. I dual
> boot one of my machines that way by pressing F11 early and then selecting
> the NetBSD disk or the Windows disk).
>
> But most UEFI offer a way to select a specific file from the ESP,
> just pick bootx64.efi for the NetBSD bootloader (sysinst should
> have put it in the \EFI\BOOT directory of the ESP).
Indeed. On my laptop's two internal disks I have four EFI partitions altogether - one on the first and three on the second - which contain the boot .efi files for a number of systems (at one stage the second disk had Suse, RedHat and NetBSD). I can boot them by choosing the corresponding .efi file, which the system bios lets me do, or, even better, I can select to boot the efi file for rEFInd, which then brings me a nice graphics menu containing all the bootable operating systems - even these on a temporary attached USB disks. The EFI partition has nothing to do with /boot on NetBSD, no point to mount it at all, at least for me so far. >

--
----
Chavdar Ivanov