Re: updating direct from 5 to 9?

Christopher Pinnock <chris_pinnock%mac.com@localhost> writes:

> Martin
> Possible in this case the file system was created on an earlier netbsd than 5. I have recently upgraded between each major release starting at 1.0.
>
> When I went from 7.2 to 8.2 I had problems - 8.2 will not mount the root file system. I had to reboot single user with a 7.2 kernel and tune the file systems with fsck_ffs -c 4
>
> (Again it’s possible this is because the file system was older - possibly created on 1.5.4).

I can believe something like this happened.  A very long time ago I had
a system stuck at 1.4 because every time I booted a newer kernel
something got corrupted in the root filesystem and made a mess of
things.  I didn't figure out what actually was happening, but it may
have been due to having the disk start the filesystem at 0.  I didn't
have the resources at the time to reload everything and redo how the
filesystems were on the drives.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org