Re: NetBSD Archive Site Seems to be Down in Northeast USA

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Dan Plassche <boomer3200%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 22:05:45 -0400 (EDT) (9 hours, 52 minutes ago)
>
> > Just wanted to give a heads up that I'm in NY in the USA and noticing
> > that the NetBSD archive site seems to be down in my region this week.
> >
> > When going to http://archive.netbsd.org/pub I get an "error 503 first
> > byte timeout" from the varnish cache server.
>
> (It's almost 10 hours later.)
>
> FWIW, from MA it works fine, ISP v4 and he v6 (which is in NY).
> But that is:
>
> dualstack.o.ssl.global.fastly.net. 4 IN A       151.101.117.6
> dualstack.o.ssl.global.fastly.net. 30 IN AAAA   2a04:4e42:1c::262

Okay, I see that the MA address you mentioned also works for me on my
default setup in NY.  I'm on IPV4 and still seeing the same issue today.

I first noticed the problem this past Tuesday evening on 7/26 and it
continued through the present.  Seemed to also happen from New Jersey
when I tested again a bit today.

One other odd aspect is that direct links to some sub-sections of
archive.netbsd.org like
http://archive.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-archive/NetBSD-7.0.1/ still work on
my normal connection setup from NY, but others like /NetBSD-7.0 do not.

> This has happened from time to time and my very dim memory is that the
> issues don't last super long.   I would expect fastly has monitoring and
> their ops people fix things.

That's fair.  Seemed unusual so I thought I'd ask after a few days.

I will close the thread then and offer to circle back later if anyone
has a question about the scenario or my setup.

Best,

Dan