Re: set -o emacs ; stty -echo

I will take a look, but I suspect you're seeing the interaction
between what editline (libedit) wants, and its settings, and how
the shell interacts with it to preserve sane settings for other
commands that also use the terminao.

bash and readline are much more tightly coupled than sh and libedit.

kre

ps: when I look at this I am much more likely to use vi mode
than emacs ... should make no difference to the interaction
just to how libedit edits (key bindings).