Re: qemu-system-x86_64: NVMM: Mem Assist Failed [gpa=0xfffffff0]

Mario,

No, I haven’t fixed the problems in NVMM as they’re a bit beyond my capabilities.  I’ve been running various tests comparing Linux/KVM to NetBSD/nvmm though (when I’m not otherwise occupied with other activities).  So far it appears that there are some systems that run fine with Linux/KVM which have problems in NetBSD/nvmm like the ones you’ve discovered.  I’ve been trying to use the same setups with the only difference being the “-accel” parameter.  I’m hoping to continue my testing and include NetBSD/xen as well, but that introduces some issues with screen resolution and such.

The OVMFX64 file can be found in the package system under sysutil/ovmf.

I could be mistaken, but I think the Linux community is now favoring KVM over Xen.   I built a script to generate the startup files for both Linux/KVM and NetBSD/nvmm from a the same system configuration definitions to try to keep everything as similar as possible for my tests, and when I figure out what I need for Xen I’ll have it generate those startup files as well.  So far I’ve managed to do tests with FreeBSD, FreeDOS, LinuxMint, MSDOS, OpenSUSE, Windows (95, 98, XP) and raynOS. Also had limited success with OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and 10.9 (Mavericks).  (It should also be possible to run all Intel based versions of OS X from 10.10 upwards with Linux/KVM building on Simple-KVM.)  Using LinuxMint as my Linux test system I’ve also managed to import all my KVM configurations into Virtual Manager which allows me to start/stop and manage the running VMs with a GUI interface which I’ve not been able to do with NetBSD/nvmm.

-bob