Re: PCIe --> NVMe adapters?

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022, Tobias Nygren wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:

Is anyone using such beasts on NetBSD?  For example, on a x86
mothrboard that doesn't have an NVMe slot the adapter can convert
an unused PCIe 3.0 x4 into an NVMe?

I have one that I recently bought, thinking that it would be a
"slam-dunk" install.  But NetBSD-current doesn't seem to even
see the adapter on my ASUS X99-E motherboard (not even a "blah
not configured" message!

Anyone out there using one of these?  Does it work?  What does
it's dmesg config info look like?

Thanks in advance.

I have a few of them. Usually it is just a passive board. Sometimes
with an active 3.3V regulator to better support high performance SSDs
since card slots have most of their power budget on the 12V rail.

However, motherboards that don't come with an onboard M2 slot might not
always have the firmware bits to allow booting from NVMe and worse
sometimes they have some initialization support but it is untested and
broken. A google search does suggest other people experiencing SSD
issues with the motherboard you have. BIOS flash update from the vendor
might help. Also re-seat the device and/or try a different slot.

The mo-bo has a M2 slot, but it is already occupied.  I have two
empty full-size PCIe x16 slots available and I tried putting the
adapter in both slots, multiple times.  The adapter/NVMe doesn't
appear, not even in the bios.

I also have two empty x1 slots, but the x4 adapter won't fit!  :)

Thanks for the info.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |