Re: pop3 server on NetBSD

Mayuresh asked:

> Which pop server will be advisable for this. (I'd prefer if it's in the
> base, but if not then pkgsrc is ok.)

We have no POP server in base but quite a few in pkgsrc:

$ pkgin se pop3 | grep -Ei 'server|daemon' | ...

cucipop-1.31nb3      The Cubic Circle POP3 mail server
dovecot-2.3.14       Secure IMAP and POP3 server
imap-uw-2007fnb9     University of Washington's IMAP, POP2, and POP3 servers
nopop3d-20201030     POP3 server for when you don't want mail
popa3d-1.0.3         Secure, reliable, performant, and small pop3 server
pulsar-0.1.1nb10     Small, secure POP3 daemon, featuring native SSL support
solid-pop3d-0.15     Flexible POP3 server
teapop-0.3.8nb20     Yet another RFC1939 compliant POP3 server

Personally, I have good experiences with both cucipop and popa3d.
They are small, lean, and easy to configure.  These days, one would
probably also put them behind a TLS wrapper -- there's "stunnel"
in pkgsrc, and it's proven to work nicely together.  All these tools
also you IPv6 support.  Which "pulsar", sadly, does not.

The dovecot / imap-uw / cyrus-imapd are huge and complex because IMAP
has so much more demands.  Life is so much easier (server-side) if
you can avoid IMAP and really just offer POP3.  (Out of those 3,
I only like dovecot -- YMMV).

							Martin