Re: NPF/interface tuning? shell unusable on gateway

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022, RVP wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > Any ideas why telnet works slowly but ssh does not at all in these
> > cases? telnet is usable but cannot even see one character sent over ssh
> > when ssh locks up (again it restores about 5 to 10 seconds after I stop
> > or suspend a speedtest or rsync job).
> >

> Could be a QoS issue when a lot of packets are being xferred.
>
> Try out a few different QoS options (explicitly) in ssh (though it should
> already be setting some kind of low-delay one by default):
>
> ssh -oIPQoS='lowdelay' ...

Thank you!  That did not work for me for the client, but gave me a hint.
The two clients I tried this from were Ubuntu Linux. At least one of
them defaulted to that already. I don't think the QoS tagging or DCSP is
honored on NetBSD by default.

All of these work:

1) Connect to NetBSD router via telnet, then connect to itself again
using ssh (so NetBSD ssh using defaults for ssh/sshd).

2) Run the NetBSD sshd with sshd_config "IPQoS none" instead of default
of "af21 cs1" (first is for interactive) and use ssh (as is) from my
Linux client.

3) Run the NetBSD sshd with sshd_config "IPQoS lowdelay throughput"
instead of default of "af21 cs1" and use ssh from my Linux client.

I wonder if the "af21" default on NetBSD sshd doesn't work as expected.

Thanks again for the hint.

I will need to understand the Ubuntu side better as it doesn't appear to
have any iptables rules other than default ACCEPTs so I don't think it
has any QoS. Maybe the ssh client (even when set to none) also honors
the server-side sshd tagging and not the Linux kernel.

> Adding QoS rules to PF/NPF might also help. pf.conf(5) has a bare-bones
> example.

I may try it later, but now I think the QoS is done on the Linux system.

(I had done lots of testing with dscp with BIND named and also
extensively tested and wrote about it for pfsense. I had no idea it was
in sshd/ssh nor did I think I had anything utilizing it.)