Re: libusb-1.0 and ugen and other devices

On Sun 23 Jan 2022 at 14:59:33 +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On NetBSD libusb (unfortunately) can only see "ugen" devices. As long as
> a different driver (e.g. uhid) claims a device, it is not available for
> userland via libusb.

The reason it can only see ugen devices is because they are the only
ones that have device nodes in /dev.

So one obvious idea would be to also have device nodes for umass, and
other types that don't have them yet.

Another idea would be to allow usb ioctls (at the very least
USB_GET_DEVICEINFO) on /dev/sd* devices. That might be easier to realise
in some way, but it would not cover anything but umass. (And can
attaching an umass give you an ld or wd instead of sd?)

I tried a USB_GET_DEVICEINFO on /dev/sd0 which was an usb stick, but it
got me a "Bad file descriptor" EBADF.

> Martin
-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto