Re: Question about /home

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 at 17:20, Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> is /home in the  /  directory?   What happens if  /  is too small?
> Can it be moved to /usr?
>
> I recall that /home had its own filesystem/sector once upon a time...

There is a lot of flexibility in filesystem layout - you can make most
any directly a new filesystem (*) - I normally have /home as a
separate filesystem on machines with real users. In that case it's
more useful to have /home as a separate filesystem than /usr...

(*: _almost any_. Not for example /etc... Do not mount anything on
/etc, especially accidentally on a running system, unless you enjoy
rebooting)

David