Re: UEFI dual-boot with Windows

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:05:08 +0000 (UTC)
Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I re-installed Windows 10 on my machine, and it insisted on UEFI boot,
> which killed my previous dual-booting setup with GRUB and legacy boot.
>
> NetBSD is on the second NVMe drive, while the first one is all Windows.
>
> After installing Windows, I manually installed rEFInd into the EFI
> partition. For NetBSD, I copied bootx64.efi to /EFI/NetBSD (so as not to
> overwrite the existing /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, which I assume is from
> Windows). I also copied a GENERIC NetBSD-9.2 kernel to  /netbsd.gz on the
> EFI partition.
>
> After selecting NetBSD in rEFInd (which it auto-detects), I see the
> NetBSD/x86 EFI boot (x64) banner. It proceeds to load a kernel from
> "NAME=EFI system partition:netbsd.gz (howto 0x20000)".
>
> Unfortunately, after the initial loader line with the sizes, the boot
> seems to hang with no further output.
>
> Any ideas, hints or tips?

I have a similar problem when I have a 4k sector NVMe drive installed.
I suspect in my case it is a Dell firmware bug but not sure.
It hangs for me when tearing down UEFI stuff before jumping to kernel.

To rule out issues with the EFI system partition itself you could
install a /EFI/NetBSD/boot.cfg to instruct bootx64.efi to load the
kernel from hd1a:netbsd or whatever your FFS partition is named.

-Tobias