Re: Release

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 08:27:56PM +0800, Piper H wrote:
> I have googled for the info, the brief difference from my understanding -
> freebsd for general use like ubuntu for linux, openbsd focus on security,
> netbsd is built for embedded. Am I right?

It is not that simple to tell in general. They are all ... just different.
If the hardware you care about is supported by all of them, you have free
choice.

There is lots of cooperation between the three groups ongoing, and it
sometimes is hard to tell what is best for a concrete use. NetBSD has
a strong commitment to security - but somehow often comes to different
solutions than OpenBSD. NetBSD also has a very strong commitment to
binary compatibility with old releases *and* the slowest release cycle
(which also means active support for old release lasts pretty long). This
is bad for you if you are waiting for support for something new in an
official release, but it is helpfull if you run several machines and don't
want to change things when you can avoid it).

So in the end it often is personal taste.

And of course NetBSD has the most friendly and welcoming community ;-)

Martin