Re: Firefox making system freeze

On 31/08/2021 1:14 am, Riza Dindir wrote:
Hello,

I am using NetBSD (9.2 - amd64) from a usb 3.0 drive (hdd not a flash
drive). The reason for this is my malfunctioning hdd caddy. This is
not to be permanent. As soon as I have the hdd caddy work, I will move
that drive into my laptop. But the system is usable with X and TWM at
this stage.

I have two problems. One is with firefox and is concerning me more.
The other is something small, and did not happen a lot in the 2 weeks
I have been using the system.

My first problem is regarding firefox freezing up the system. I am
suspecting it has to do with my setup I have mentioned briefly above.

I have installed firefox.

I started firefox. Visited gmail, and searched on the web to make sure
the app is running and am able to access the internet. The system
became unresponsive. I also remember at some stage that umass did
detach or became unresponsive, but not remember the exact message i
saw on the tty's.

Hi Riza,

My initial thought would be power. Does this external USB drive have its own
power supply or does it derive its power from the USB port.

If it's the latter, then the port would seem unable to deliver enough power.

Just a long shot.

I tried it the second time, and I had the same problem. Would this
setup, currently using NetBSD from a usb 3 drive (no flash, actual
hdd) cause this issue?

The other problem is about X resetting when starting TWM. Here are the details.

I have been using NetBSD for 2 weeks now. I am using TWM. When I quit
TWM and start TWM again with startx, the system resets. But this
happened a couple of times (2-3 times). And not happening anymore. Not
sure why. When I looked at the X.org.log in /var/log, the file was
empty. What other logs are there on the system? In cases like this
where can I look for logs? Do I have to set some logging flags to get
more information in these rare cases?

If it 'resets', aka reboots, there's probably something in the /var/log files, specifically
messages.
Cheers,
Mark

Thanks in advance, for any insights, ideas...

Regards,
Riza