Re: Stopping USB HDD

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:

When I power off the system (with poweroff) the connected USB HDD
makes a noise that comes from the heads. A distinct clicking noise.

This sounds like the head-assembly being retracted.

I wanted to know if there is a way, when powering off the system, any
usb hdd drive that is connected to the system be stopped properly, and
the disk heads are parked?

To power-off my external USB HDD on FreeBSD I do:

$ sudo devctl disable umass0
$ sudo usbconfig ugen0.3 power_off

(umass0 and ugen0.3 may differ)

On NetBSD I do:

$ sudo drvctl -S umass0
$ sudo drvctl -d umass0

before unplugging the drive. (not exactly equivalent as there's no
power-off.)

-RVP