Re: firefox on NetBSD: files again

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 05:05:22PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 03:39:53PM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > With my kernel compiled with maxusers 16, ulimit -n could not pass 956.
> > And it was set to this maximum and firefox crashed.
>
> What NetBSD version are you using and how much RAM do you have?
>
> >From CHANGES-9.2:
>
>         Set a better default for MAXFILES on larger RAM machines if not
>         otherwise specified the kernel config file.  Arbitary numbers are
>         20,000 files for 16GB RAM or more and 10,000 files for 1GB RAM or
>         more.
>
> (and I guess that should read "in the kernel config file" or something)
>
> On machines with < 1 GB you should probably not be trying to use Firefox
> with modern web sites :-/

I have 8 GB of memory. And had also (not directly related) to revive
swap (there was discussion some years ago about "swap is probably not
needed anymore" but it is needed again these days because linking
of some programs---browsers for examples...---or image manipulation
---JPEG 2000 anybody?---are able to exhaust what you have).

I remember when I bought a machine with 64 MB of memory thinking it was
"too much" and will hardly be useful on something not a server with
hundreds of users...

I imagine the "modern web sites" are needed specially for people who
want to "alert"---but only "others"---about "the waste of resources"
and the "global warming"... And "modern browsers" are required by these
very people because, without these softwares, there will be nothing to
warn about...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/