Re: Some questions about build.sh, machine, -u and tools

On mag 05 11:13, Martin Husemann wrote:

> A MACHINE is a concrete thing, it belongs to a broader group of similar
> (but not identical) other machines of the same MACHINE_ARCH.

Ok! So, the reference and the "glue" is not MACHINE (as I thought), but
MACHINE_ARCH. This also explains what Greg was writing before.

It seems that the distinction between MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH is
created for this purpose. As far as a userland program meets the same
MARCHINE_ARCH, even across different MACHINEs, it should work.

> How wide the range of MACHINE_ARCH goes, depends on details, e.g. there are
> lots of very different MACHINE (mac68k, atari, amiga, sun3, next68k, mvme68k...)
> for MACHINE_ARCH = m68k. This is because we made userland compatible.
> Similar for MACHINE_ARCH = powerpc.
[...]
> So in short: MACHINE_ARCH may be shared with other MACHINEs. Userland
> programs (ignoring device specific ioctl helpers) do not care about
> MACHINE but only require the MACHINE_ARCH.

So that they are compatible with different MACHINEs if they have the
same MACHINE_ARCH.

Thank you!

Rocky