Re: Some questions about build.sh, machine, -u and tools

Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas%firemail.cc@localhost> writes:

> I struggle instead about MACHINE. Some of them (sparc, vax) have
> just one MACHINE_ARCH with the same name. Some of them have just
> one MACHINE_ARCH with a different name (amd64). This allows to
> specify just one between `-m' or `-a', when building with build.sh.
> Then, there are the cases where a single MACHINE has several
> MACHINE_ARCH. So, what does MACHINE exactly refer to?

I keep forgetting this and having to page it in, but a big concept is
that you can share userland among systems built for the same CPU type
but that are different kinds of computers.  Basically MACHINE describes
the computer and MACHINE_ARCH the CPU.  It may be helpful to read
build.sh.

> first time with `-O ~/obj', two directories are created in `~/obj':
>
> tooldir.NetBSD-9.99.81-amd64
> tools

The tooldir is a prefix that has bin/lib and so on, which has programs
that run on the build host, and are cross for targets.

There is also an obj dir for building the cross tools, usually the tools
subdir within the objdir.

> Assume to run build 1 as:
>
> ./build.sh -U -j2 -O ~/obj -m evbarm -a aarch64 tools kernel=MYKERNEL
>
> Then, some modifications to the cross-compiler tools and/or to the
> kernel sourcefile(s) are performed. In the end, assume to run build
> 2 as:
>
> ./build.sh -U -u -j2 -O ~/obj -m evbarm -a aarch64 tools kernel=MYKERNEL
>
> IIUC, `-u' means that if anything between tools and kernel has already
> been built and its code has not been modified after build 1, now it
> won't be built again. Is this correct?

-u basically means "just run make, and don't clean first",
operationally.  This only works if the makefile rules are correct and
nothing has changed outside the scope of what make copes with.

If you have changed a few lines of code, -u almost always works.

If you did cvs update along netbsd-9, it is highly likely that -u will
work.

If you updated along current, it often works.   The shorter the time
period, the more likely.