Re: NetBSD/Xen prompting for root filesystem although provided in boot.cfg

Hallo Manuel and Cherry,

Am 21.12.2020 um 12:21 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
Actually, if you have root-on-raid, you shouldn't need the
root/bootdev parameter at all, '-A root' should be enough.
I don't have it on systems where I have root on raid

Now it has actually worked. The combination of:

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin console=com2 com2=9600,8n1

and -A root leads to an automatic boot from raid0a.

If I set -A softroot (which I had so far except for one test you recommended), it tries to take the root of dk0 when booting (which fails).

So the key was to omit the explicit bootdev/root specification in boot.cfg AND set -A root (and NOT -A softroot).

Reading raidctl(8) again, I also become more aware of my mistake. The boot device is wd0, which is not part of the RAID set (since it consists of dk0/dk1). Therefore the root device is not set automatically. Does this make sense and have I interpreted this correctly?

Many greetings
Matthias