NetBSD/Xen prompting for root filesystem although provided in boot.cfg

Hello,

I am trying to multiboot my NetBSD 9.1/Xen 4.13 system with Xen and causes me some headache :-( It seems like the root file system is not automatically mounted. From the setup side, the root filesystem is located in a disklabel, which in turn is located on a RAIDFrame device, which consists of two components, each consisting of a GPT partition on two physical disks.

In my boot.cfg I have:

```
menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz bootdev=raid0a;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin console=com2 com2=9600,8n1
```

but for some reason the Kernel still prompts for the root device, the dump device, file system and later for the init location. Anyway, the provided defaults are correct and could be used right away. Thats why it needs currently manual intervention on every boot:

```
[   3.3500231] raid0: RAID Level 1
[   3.3500231] raid0: Components: /dev/dk0 /dev/dk1
[   3.3500231] raid0: Total Sectors: 234434432 (114469 MB)
[   3.3500231] WARNING: 1 error while detecting hardware; check system log.
[   3.3500231] boot device: raid0
[   3.3500231] unknown device major 0xffffffffffffffff
[   3.3500231] root device (default raid0a):
[   3.4089966] dump device (default raid0b):
[   3.9617492] file system (default generic):
```

In the case above it is sufficient to take over the defaults by simply pressing the enter key. The system will boot without any problem after this. But of course, the manual intervention is inappropriate for a production system.

I did some further experiments and found out when I omit the bootdev parameter in boot.cfg, dk0 is offered as the default for the root device. dk0 is the GPT partition of one of the raid frame components on which the root file system is based. Logically this doesn't qualify as a valid root filesystem and fails booting.

So the bootdev parameter already seems to have some effect - namely to set the defaults accordingly. I am just wondering why I am still being asked, although everything is actually known...

From what I've seen, it reminds me a bit of my similar topic from August 2018[1].

Can anyone give me a hint as to what I am doing wrong?

Kind regards
Matthias

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2018/08/23/msg009290.html