Re: With 8G RAM would RPI4 be a decent QEMU host?

On 05/12/2020 03:27, Mayuresh wrote:
I have just ordered RPI4B 8G model, for desktop usage. Initially I might
use the stock OS (Raspberry OS - erstwhile Raspbian). But wonder with good
amount of RAM what all the device can do for me.

- What sort of virtualization accelerators are available on arm (or on
   Pi4B)? (Any counterpart of VT-x on amd64?)

- On aarch64 host if you emulate another aarch64 guest, does it have any
   performance advantage as compared to emulating amd64/i386 on aarch64?

Accordingly wondering about trying a NetBSD guest (aarch64 or amd64) on it
to see if it is workable. If amd64 were to work (with decent speed) the
pkgsrc package availability would improve.

I'm interested in the subject. I remember asking a similar question on the OTFC channel #qemu and the general consensus was that the RPI in general was not a good qemu host at all.

--
Ottavio Caruso