Re: Tunneling in NetBSD

Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> How do clients use OpenVPN? Do you have to install it, and is it
> widely available? My basic research suggests that most clients will
> have to install it.

You are right that most clients need to install something.  I installed
OpenVPN on Android, available from f-droid (which therefore implies it's
actually Free Software) and TunnelBlick on mac (which is more or less
the official client).

> What about built in VPN clients? Isn't L2TP pretty much standard?

Perhaps; if someone has a setup and can post about it that would be
interesting.

There is another big issue lurking, which is how VPN approaches interact
with firefwall traversal.  There are a lot of firewalls that block a lot
of things out there.  I've run into some that block xmpp, including a
hospital guest network that was intended, and I suspect that's only
because there was a narrow list of allowed ports.  Probably I just used
tor at the time to get around it.

I don't remember all the details, but there are SSL VPNs, VPNs that
send datagrams as IPsec, and VPNs that send UDP datagrams.  Depending on
what you want to do this matters.