Re: ntpdate(8) and unbound(8) dependencies during boot

On 11/10/2020 11:42, Havard Eidnes wrote:
The question is whether we ought to do something to break this
circular dependency in our default install by specifying one or two
(depending on "minsane" and resiliency conciderations) ntp servers
via IP address?  The issue then becomes "which IP address(es)" and
"how can that scale"?

So the 50-ntp.conf dhcpcd hook script sets up ntp.conf with the IP addresses of NTP servers to use given from DHCP.
If the ntp.conf file has changed as a result, the hook script will restart ntpd.
If ntpd was passed the -g option to startup then it will ensure that the initial sync works no matter the state of the clock.

We might want to consider adding -g to the default ntpd_flags.

Roy