Re: ntpdate(8) and unbound(8) dependencies during boot

Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I don't think this is specifically confined to RTC-less machines. Real
> hardware and virtual machines can have their clocks set to incorrect
> time, for various reasons.

They can, but I see that as basically bugs or operator error.

> I think default max clock skew for unbound is around 24 hours.

That seems remarkably unforgiving, and that seems like an unfortunate
design choice.

The circularity between time sync and certificate/etc. validation is
real.  But typically certificates have fairly long lifetimes (90 days
for letsencrypt is the shortest I tend to see), and it has always seemed
unwise to me, to require clock sync to high accuracy to make validation
succeed.

> The workaround can be easily implemented with various settings in
> rc.conf, so this should probably be documented at the very least, an not
> just for RPi.

Probably it belongs in the unbound man page, as unbound seems to be the
thing that is being unreasonable here.

Is it reasonable/feasible to have unbound lighten up on the tight time
requirement?