Re: Unusable Realtek NIC after upgrading to NetBSD 9

Engrampa is the archive manager of MATE.

The files besides the .bin have .exe, .dll and .sys suffixes, likely the firmware update utility for Windows users.
_If your BIOS has a firmware update functionality_, it will be able to do the job safely, or will issue an error message it it can't.
I have applied this technique to an Intel NUC and it is what I've observed.
The only risk then is to use an improper firmware and brick the laptop, but I think you have already checked that.

You may also want to check the release notes of the firmware update to see if it is worth applying.