Re: Unusable Realtek NIC after upgrading to NetBSD 9

You could try opening the firmware update's executable as an archive
(they are often SFX - self-extracting ZIP archives),
extract its contents to a FAT-formatted USB pen drive,
reboot the laptop with the pen drive attached
and enter the BIOS firmware flash utility (often the F7 key).

If you found a firmware update from 2014, your laptop may not be
so old it can't update from a USB stick. :)