Getting undefined reference to ___tls_get_addr when building packages on netbsd-5.2/i386

	hello.  I've noticed that for some packages in the pkgsrc tree, I'm
getting build errors that look like:

./.libs/libgdbm.so: undefined reference to `___tls_get_addr'

Yet, if I search through all the files in the source and build trees, I
don't see any references to this function except in the .so files
themselves.  I think this is a simple error that I'm making, or an option
that I need to turn off or on, but I'm not able to think of it.  Can anyone
tell me what I need to do to get these errors to go away?  I'm using the
system gcc, which is gcc4.1.3.
It's not happening with all packages, so there must be some commonality
between the ones that don't build that I'm missing.

-thanks
-Brian