Re: Living with Rust

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 at 21:34, Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> wrote:

> AND, I notice in my /etc/mk.conf, to get back to my opening
> point, this line:
>
> RUST_TYPE=src
>
> Can someone tell me what that line does, and if it is really
> what an old, retired hobbyist wants in that file.

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2020/06/30/msg023485.html

Changes to the pkgsrc infrastructure:

- Users can now select the type of rust compiler with RUST_TYPE.
  This defaults to "src" on most platforms for the traditional
  bootstrap process.
  For certain platform tiers, Rust publishes official binaries,
  which can be selected with "bin" to avoid the lengthy bootstrap
  process. This includes x86_64 Darwin, NetBSD, and Linux.

- RUST_TYPE defaults to bin on NetBSD/amd64.  This is a workaround for
  difficulties with the normal (source build with a binary bootstrap)
  build method.

--
Ottavio Caruso