Re: Use network printer from NetBSD

At Fri, 3 Jul 2020 15:12:23 +0200, Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas%firemail.cc@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Use network printer from NetBSD

> On giu 26 14:42, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Looking at the documentation, the following list of printers supports PCL6,
> > BR-Script3 and PDF:
> >
> > DCP-L2550DN/MFC-L2730DW/MFC-L2750DW.
> >
> > I suspect BR-Script3 is Brothers own print
> > handling/layout/formatting/whatever protocol
> [...]
> > It do.
> > Page 615. "Emulation".
>
> Thanks! I really would have never found the section where those 3 models
> and formats are mentioned. Mine is not between them, but at least now it's
> more clear what to search, and where.

So, earlier in the thread you said:

	"Printer is in my case Brother MFC L2750DN."

However the link for a manual you pointed at was for the MFC-L2750DW.

I think the only difference between the DN and the DW is that the former
may have the ability to use a larger toner cartridge?

In any case the following command (where you replace my printer's
address with yours) should tell you what language emulations your
printer supports:

	{ printf '\033%%-12345X@PJL\n'; printf "@PJL INFO ID\n@PJL INFO CONFIG\n"; printf '\033%%-12345X'; sleep 5; } | telnet 10.0.1.19 9100

If your printer supports postscript (or anything else but XL2HB) then it
should be relatively easy to use existing /usr/libexec/lpr/pjlfilter
script, possibly with some minor modifications, to send data in a
matching format to the printer using lpr/lpd with a printcap entry
something like this:

lp|basic PJL printer using JetDirect protocol:\
        :sh:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=9100@10.0.1.19:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd-pjl:\
        :if=/usr/libexec/lpr/pjlfilter:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

These printers also implement an LPD protocol spooler, though there may
be an issue with knowing which remote queue name to use (in theory any
random name will work, but some may have special meaning).

BTW, the term "BR-Script 3" refers to an emulated version of the Adobe
PostScript 3 printer language from Brother.  It's just a trademark
issue, just like GhostScript vs. PostScript.

I've got an HL-3045CN, and it's one of the "dumb" ones requiring a
driver to send "binary" data to it, however it does claim to support the
XL2HB emulation, which is apparently a modified version of HP PCL XL (an
imaging "protocol" entirely unlike HP PCL).  For now since we've got
several macOS machines here I just drive it from them using the easily
installed CUPS driver for macOS.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>