Re: Use network printer from NetBSD

On giu 26 14:42, Johnny Billquist wrote:

[...]

> Essentially, the implications are that through port 9100 you just talk
> directly to the printer. But that still leaves figuring out what format the
> printer wants data in... (For HP printers, it was/is easy, it is PCL, and
> sometimes they also understand other things...)

Ok, this puts a big light on why it didn't work.

> Looking at the documentation, the following list of printers supports PCL6,
> BR-Script3 and PDF:
>
> DCP-L2550DN/MFC-L2730DW/MFC-L2750DW.
>
> I suspect BR-Script3 is Brothers own print
> handling/layout/formatting/whatever protocol
[...]
> It do.
> Page 615. "Emulation".

Thanks! I really would have never found the section where those 3 models
and formats are mentioned. Mine is not between them, but at least now it's
more clear what to search, and where.

(Not only I didn't know what kind of data my printer supports, but also I
didn't know exactly what kind of data to look for).

> Yes. The printer does not understand Postscript.

Ok! Apparently, only BR-Script3 as you were mentioning previously.

> Your problems are twofold, I'd say. First, trying to use various daemons and
> ports used by these daemons, but without the protocols, is not working.

Exactly.

> The closest is when you talk on port 9100. Then you have a clean connection
> to the actual printer without any daemons involved.
> But then you hit the problem that the printer expects a format for the
> things to be printed which you are not giving it. So you are feeding it
> things it don't understand. You're lucky you get nothing, You could be
> getting 200 pages of gibberish as well. :-)

In fact I was expecting this mess!! :) My printer seems to be gentle.
Thanks for all your help.

Rocky