Re: qemu accel options on NetBSD 8 VPS [Was Re: Building Linux packages on NetBSD]

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 05:59:14PM +0200, Petr Topiarz wrote:
> Well, not quite so. It is true, that nvmm is only in 9.0, but you can run
> qemu -accel hax on NetBSD 8.
> Need to download sys.tgz sources and unpack it to /usr.
> Then run "make install" in /usr/pkgsrc/emul/haxm
> Then create haxm devices and load haxm modules.
> Then it works.

Did that. But this is on a VPS with no VT-x support. So the module exits
with appropriate error.

Am I missing out on a significant amount of performance due to lack of
accelerator, with the system's main usage being a build server for pkgsrc.

And in absence of accel, what best can I do? How do I use paravirtualized
Linux guest, and would it do better?

Mayuresh